Although we'd like our teeth to last for a lifetime, sadly, they can be prone to decay and infection. In the case of severe decay, tooth extraction may be the only treatment option available to save the adjacent teeth and gums from becoming infected.
Tooth extraction refers to the process of removing the tooth from its place in the bone.
Reasons For Tooth Extraction
Your tooth is too damaged and has severe tooth decay. In this case, your dentist may recommend to have the tooth extracted if it's beyond repair.
- You have a sizable infection that cannot be resolved by a root canal alone.
- You have teeth that are blocking other teeth from coming in. These may be extra teeth or baby teeth that have not fallen out yet.
- You are getting braces and need to get rid of a tooth that is crowding others.
- You have severe periodontal disease, which is an infection of the tissues and bones that surround the tooth which adversely affects the tooth. In this case, tooth extraction may be the only effective treatment option.
- Wisdom teeth, which typically come in during your teens or early 20's, may need to be extracted if they are decayed, infected, or causing pain. They may get impacted (stuck underneath the bone or other teeth) which also requires extraction.
Here at Times Square Family Dental, we always try to make you as comfortable as possible during a tooth extraction procedure. You will likely feel a lot of pressure or pulling, but will feel no pain.
We make every attempt to complete all teeth needing extractions at our office. But sometimes the extraction procedure can be extremely difficult, or the tooth needing an extraction is in a very difficult location. In cases where the extraction is difficult to complete, we will refer you to a highly trained and qualified oral surgeon close to our office.
If you have a toothache, broken tooth, or other dental emergency, we'll fit you in our schedule as soon as possible. Just call our office or come in, and we'll get you help as soon as possible.